Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Sweet Underrated Doll

Something about this little one has captured my heart.  This is Ideal's Little Miss Marker Sara Stimpson doll. On the back of her head is a date of (get the old bifocals out) 1978 or 1979. Sorry, I still couldn't read it well.  She is sculpted by Vincent J. DeFilippo.  He also sculpted a Shirley Temple the same size but it was never produced.

Her head is on a ball on her neck, like Penny Brite and Susie Sad Eyes.  It allows all kinds of poses.  Her head is oversized and I think she looks so cute in short little dresses. 

For some reason I see lots of sale photos of her online but very few active play pictures of her.  So here is one.  She's in a very simple handmade crocheted dress.  Isn't she so sweet?

I also think she's very underrated.  I think she has so much potential for cuteness.  If you have a Sara I'd love to hear from you. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow - I've never seel her before, but she's adorable! thanks for sharing. She's based on a movie character played by Shirley Temple in 1934!?!! Wonder why it took them more than 40 years to make her? Oh well, I'm glad that they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen. Shirley Temple's role of "The Kid" was played by Sara Stimpson in a remake of Little Miss Marker in 1980. Vincent DiFilippo sculpted the Sara Stimpson character and the Shirley Temple doll. Only Sara was manufactured.

    http://vincentdefilippo.com/HTML/ideal/sara.html

    You can see the cute as pie Shirley he sculpted but Ideal never made her. Wouldn't it be great to have the prototype???? DeFilippo also sculpted Crissy and Velvet and tons of other dolls. Check out his other Ideal sculpts. He's my new hero.

    ReplyDelete